CREATING SMALL REVOLUTIONS OF JOY ONE DAY AT A TIME
Why You Should Include Playtime In Your Days
In the book, “The Power of Vulnerability” Brene Brown brings up the importance of play.
It’s a subset of one of her guideposts to ‘Wholehearted Living”. Number 10 is cultivating laughter, song, and dance.
Wholehearted people embrace their vulnerability and go to bed each night still knowing they are worthy of love and belonging.
In other words, they acknowledge that life isn’t always rainbows and unicorns, but they still feel joy and contentment every day!
A big piece of laughter, song, and dance is a sense of playfulness.
Play has 3 main characteristics:
1. Time spent without purpose
2. Doing something that you don’t want to end
3. Such great enjoyment doing something that you lose yourself in the experience and don’t care how you’re perceived.
As adults, many of us have lost touch with our playful inner child.
But research shows overwhelming evidence that brining play back into our lives has many benefits!
Benefits of Adult Playtime:
*Relieves Stress: play releases endorphins which are chemicals that make us feel good!
*Stimulates the Brain: we learn best when we are having fun!
*Refreshes the Mind and Body: play provides us with energy, adrenaline, and positive feelings!
*Gives Our Productivity a Boost: we put out higher quality work when our mindset is content and happy!
*Prevents Work-Related Burnout: Playing outside of work helps relieve the stress associated with our jobs!
How can you play as an adult?
- Get outside for a hike, walk, bike ride, or picnic!
2. Play games and puzzles. These can stimulate the brain and bring fun into your day!
3. Attend social gatherings, join clubs, or go to a meetup!
4. Bring the arts into your life. Dance, sing, learn an instrument, or a craft!
To sum it up, let your inner toddler out every day!